NORTHERN MICHIGAN – Activities such as prescribed burns, timber harvests and tree thinning all are planned regularly to help keep Michigan’s 4 million acres of state forest thriving.
The DNR finalizes plans for management activity in each forest management unit two years in advance. This fall, recommendations for 2021 are being presented at open houses in several locations. At open houses, people can talk to foresters, wildlife biologists and other DNR professionals regarding these plans.
Open houses coming up during September include:
- Gwinn Forest Management Unit: 2-6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, at the Marquette Operations Service Center, 1990 U.S. 41 South, Marquette.
- Sault Ste. Marie Forest Management Unit: 3-6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Naubinway Field Office, W11569 U.S. 2, Naubinway; and 3-6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, at the Kinross Township Hall, 4884 W. Curtis St., Kincheloe.
- Shingleton Forest Management Unit: 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26, at the Wyman Nursery, 480 N Intake Park Road, Manistique.
About a month after each open house, a public compartment review meeting also will take place. That’s where foresters present their final decisions on management activities. Upcoming compartment review meetings include:
- Cadillac Forest Management Unit: 9 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10, at the Carl T. Johnson Hunting and Fishing Center, 6087 M-115, Cadillac.
- Escanaba Forest Management Unit: 9 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, at the State Office Building, 305 Ludington St., Escanaba.
- Roscommon Forest Management Unit: 9 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Roscommon Customer Service Center, 8717 N. Roscommon Road, Roscommon.
UpNorthVoice.com and Up North Voice are Northern Michigan’s source for community news.
We cover seven counties that include the following communities: Waters, Hale, Roscommon, St. Helen, Houghton Lake, Prudenville, Grayling, Frederic, Gaylord, Johannesburg, Lewiston, Atlanta, Comins, Fairview, Mio, Rose City, West Branch, Lupton, Skidway Lake, Sand Lake area, Glennie, Oscoda, East Tawas, Tawas City, and National City.
We are also a full-service commercial design and printing house. Our specialty is custom commercial printing, as well as the creation of clothing, cups and other marketing products.
To submit information for publication, or for questions regarding promotion of your business, please email info@UpNorthVoice.com, or call 989-275-1170.
Up North Voice is a division of AuSable Media Group, LLC, based at 709 Lake Street in Roscommon.