HOUGHTON LAKE – The Houghton Lake Area Tourism Bureau will be hosting its 12th annual Catch Us If You Can drawing Sunday, April 8, at Spicer’ Boat City at Houghton Lake.
The 2017-18 contest was extended to year-round for the first time. There were 19 successful anglers that will be at Spicer’ Boat City for the drawing. One of them will have the opportunity to match two envelopes for $100,000 and a new Lund boat package. The guaranteed prize is $1,000 cash, with a second-place prize of a certificate for Mark Martin Ice Fishing School valued at $500.
The 19 contestants range in age from six to 87. One of the fishermen, Randy Sherbino of St. Helen, who retired from Spicer’, said he was looking forward to being a participant this year.
Kristi Sawatzki of Frankenmuth is drawing for the second year in a row. The walleye she caught this year was tagged in 2012.
Four of the contestants are from Roscommon County, one from Ohio, and the rest from Michigan.
The public is invited to Spicer’ Boat City, 4165 W Houghton Lake Dr, Houghton Lake April 8 from 1 to 3 p.m. There will be a live Facebook broadcast of interviews with the contestants and of the drawing with host Tom O’Boyle of Great Getaways TV. Just visit the Great Getaways or Houghton Lake Area Tourism Bureau Facebook pages to watch.
Local radio personality Tammy Thompson will be on site doing live radio broadcasts on 98.5 UPS/98.1 The Twister.
The drawing will take place between 2 and 2:15 p.m. Exciting news about the 2018-19 Catch Us If You Can contest will be announced including a new youth division. This contest runs from March 16, 2018 through March 15, 2019.
Joining the HLATB are major contest sponsors H&H Fireworks, Lyman’ on the Lake, and Spicer’ Boat City.
The 19 ANGLERS WHO WILL BE DRAWING, IN ORDER OF DATE OF FISH CAUGHT:
- JIM THIEL OF HOUGHTON LAKE. 9′ CRAPPIE IN HOUGHTON LAKE tagged in 2016
- Caught fishing off canal with minnows
- APRIL 12, 2017
- JOHN MCCLINTIC OF SHEPHERD, 17′ BASS IN HOUGHTON LAKE tagged in 2015
- Been fishing 50 years – loves to catch anything that swims
- MAY 15, 2017
- LUKE RUNDLE OF MEDINA, OHIO, 12.5′ PERCH IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged in 2011
- Loves fishing Houghton Lake because you never know what you will bring up
- MAY 20, 2017
- DANIEL CHAMPEAU OF CLARKSTON, 17-18′ BASS IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged in 2016
- The bass gave him a good fight. He has been fishing Houghton Lake 12 years
- MAY 27, 2017
- KRISTI SAWATZKI OF FRANKENMUTH, 20′ WALLEYE IN LAKE ST. HELEN, tagged in 2012
- Second year in a row, was in drawing last April
- JUNE 16, 2017
- CHRIS ROSE OF TRAVERSE CITY, 30′ LAKE TROUT IN HIGGINS LAKE, tagged 2016
JUNE 29, 2017
- JACOB SCHLAU OF DAVISON, PIKE IN HIGGINS LAKE, tagged in 2014
- JULY 2, 2017
- LOGAN KAISER OF ROCKFORD, 13 YRS OLD, 22′ PIKE IN LAKE ST. HELEN tagged in 2017
- Eighth grade student, fishing with Grandfather
- JULY 8, 2017
- BONNIE NAU OF JACKSON, 8′ ROCKBASS IN HIGGINS LAKE, tagged in 2017
- 87 years old, coming in to dock, one piece of bait left – you can’t waste bait – caught fish on way in
- JULY 17, 2017
- LUKE PUTT OF AUBURN, 6 YRS OLD, 9′ ROCK BASS IN HIGGINS LAKE, tagged in 2017
- Caught fish with a minnow
- JULY 20, 2017
- JEFF SOMES OF LINCOLN PARK, 18.5′ WALLEYE IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged in 2015
- JULY 22, 2107
- MARK DUNCAN OF ST. HELEN, 6′ BLUEGILL IN LAKE ST. HELEN, tagged in 2017
- Retired, goes out fishing 3 times/week.
- JULY 25, 2017
- MIKE HORSWILL OF CLARE, 15.5′ BASS IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged in 2016
- Department Manager of Jay’ Sporting in Clare, likes old-school fishing
- JULY 26, 2017
- JULIAN PETZOLD OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP, 34.5′ NORTHERN PIKE IN HOUGHTON LAKE
- Fish verified by video he took of it and tag, video shows how much fun to fish
- AUGUST 1, 2017
- JASON KOKALY OF GRAND BLANC, 19.5′ SMALL MOUTH BASS IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged 2017
- AUGUST 20, 2017
- KYLE ROZEVELD OF MCBAIN, 25′ LAKE TROUT IN HIGGINS LAKE, tagged 2016
- Been fishing since he was four
- JANUARY 20, 2018
- JORDAN WILSON OF HOUGHTON LAKE, 8 YRS OLD, 23.5′ PIKE IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged in 2016
- He loves hunting and fishing, mom always has to call him in to eat
- JANUARY 21, 2018
- RANDY SHERBINO OF ST. HELEN, 20′ PIKE IN LAKE ST. HELEN, tagged in 2017
- Retired from Spicers, looking forward to being a contestant
- JANUARY 26, 2018
- CHANDLER BICKEL OF LINWOOD, 16.5′ BASS IN HOUGHTON LAKE, tagged in 2016
- FEBRUARY 10, 2018
Au Sable Media Group, LLC, is a veteran-owned company that owns and operates the Roscommon County Voice, Crawford County Voice, Michigan Boomers and Voice of the Au Sable.
Our focus is on the positive people and events that make Northern Michigan a great place to live, vacation, work and play.
We have been commercial printers and publishers since 2010, specializing in brochures, rack cards, magazines and other newspapers and publications. A new addition to our stable of marketing products are various promotional items such as shirts, hats, mugs, water bottles and much more.
Through our publications and website at UpNorthVoice.com, we cover the following communities: Roscommon, Houghton Lake, St. Helen, Higgins Lake, Grayling, Frederic, Gaylord, Lewiston, Johannesburg, Atlanta, Hillman, Fairview, Comins, McKinley, Mio, Rose City, West Branch, Hale, Glennie, Sand Lake, Harrisville, Tawas City, East Tawas, Oscoda, Au Sable AuGres, Standish, Omer, Sterling, Gladwin, Beaverton, Kalkaska, South Boardman, Fife Lake, Mancelona, Alden, Traverse City, and Waters.
Our staff regularly covers the following school districts: Roscommon, Houghton Lake, St. Helen, Grayling, Mio and Fairview.
We can also be found on Facebook at Roscommon County Voice, Voice of the Au Sable, Michigan Boomers and Crawford County Voice.
If you have information you would like to see published, email Theresa Ekdom at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also enter calendar items at your convenience at ww.UpNorthVoice.com.
Au Sable Media Group is an equal opportunity employer and follows all applicable state and federal laws. Our corporate office is located at 709 Lake Street in beautiful downtown Roscommon, Michigan.