REGION- The Department of Natural Resources is committed to providing Michigan residents the opportunity to share input and ideas on policy decisions, programs and other aspects of natural resource management and outdoor recreation opportunities.
One important avenue for this input is at meetings of the public bodies that advise the DNR and, in some cases, also set policies for natural and cultural resource management. Frequently check the DNR boards, commissions, committees and councils webpage for updates.
- Accessibility Advisory Council – Tuesday, March 7, 9 a.m. (Contact: Mike Holsinger, 517-284-5946).
- Belle Isle Park Advisory Committee – Thursday, March 16, 9 a.m. (Contact: Barbara Graves, 517-284-6135).
- Board of Foresters – Thursday, March 16, 9 a.m. (Contact: Brenda Haskill, 989-370-9557).
- Lake Erie/St. Clair Citizens Fishery Advisory Committee – Thursday March 23, 10 a.m. (Contact: Jim Francis, 517-242-3593).
- Michigan Freedom Trail Commission – Friday, March 31, 11 a.m. (Contact: Sheri Giffin, 517-231-1299).
- Michigan Iron Industry Museum Advisory Board – Tuesday, March 14, 3 p.m. (Contact: Barry James, 906-475-7857).
- Michigan Natural Resources Commission – Thursday, March. 9, 8 a.m. coffee with commissioners; 9 a.m. meeting (Contact: Jennifer Callen, 517-331-7792).
- Michigan Wildlife Council – Monday, March 6, 9 a.m. and Wednesday, March 22, 9 a.m. (Contact: Pam Vance, 517-284-6056).
- Off-road Vehicle Advisory Workgroup – Thursday, March 16, 2 p.m. (Contact: Jessica Holley-Roehrs, 517-331-3790).
- Snowmobile Advisory Workgroup – Thursday, March 2, 10 a.m. (Contact: Anna Centofanti, 517-331-6219).
- State Historical Records Advisory Board – Wednesday, March 8, 1 p.m. (Contact: Sheri Giffin, 517-231-1299).
- Timber and Forest Products Advisory Council – Friday, March 24, 10 a.m. (Contact: Kimberley Korbecki, 517-582-3220 or 517-284-5876).
- Trails Advisory Council – Thursday, March 23, 1 p.m. (Contact: Anna Centofanti, 517-331-6219).
- Western Upper Peninsula Citizens Advisory Council – Tuesday, March 21, 6 p.m. EDT (Contact: Stacy Welling Haughey, 906-226-1331).
Weigh in on latest state land review recommendations
This March, the DNR is hosting virtual public meetings to provide information on thestate land review process and opportunities for feedback on recommendations on whether to keep, exchange or sell DNR-managed public land in 11 counties: Cheboygan, Crawford, Eaton, Ingham, Jackson, Kalkaska, Missaukee, Muskegon, Osceola, Otsego and Ottawa.
Participate in either meeting by following the Microsoft Teams link, which will not be live or accessible until each meeting is “opened” by the moderator.
Contact Kerry Heckman at 517-643-1256 for more information.
Join fisheries ‘Conversations and Coffee’ virtual events
Speak with DNR fisheries staff to discuss local and statewide fisheries management activities during one of several virtual “Conversations & Coffee” events taking place this spring. March dates include:
- Central Lake Michigan Management Unit – Thursday, March 9, 8 p.m. (Contact:Scott Heintzelman).
- Northern Lake Michigan Management Unit – Tuesday, March 14, 7 p.m. (Contact:Darren Kramer).
- Lake Superior Management Unit – Wednesday, March 29, 6:30 p.m. (Contact:Patrick Hanchin.)