The North Central Michigan Community Foundation’s (NCMCF) Youth Advisory Councils, or YACs awarded $19,621 in new grants to Crawford, Ogemaw and Oscoda Counties for programs benefiting their peers and their communities.
The NCMCF Board of Trustees approved the YAC’s 16 grant award recommendations in February and March. Grants awarded include:
- $4,000 to Ana’s Treasures through three grants for a Foster Care Resource Program serving families in the NCMCF service area;
- $2,500 to Coalition of HOPE for suicide prevention and intervention trainings and a “safeTALK” program;
- $2,321 to C.O.O.R. Intermediate School District through three grants for their summer reading program;
- $3,300 to D&R Acres Hobby and Rescue Farm through two grants to build and repair fencing for pastures and animal shelters;
- $2,500 to Iosco County Coats for Kids for the “Warm Hands, Warm Feet” project for Ogemaw County children.
In addition to these regular annual YAC grants, an additional $5,000 was awarded to local organizations with programs and expenses related to needs arising due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Funding for these projects comes from a grant from the Michigan Community Foundations Youth Project Committee of the Council of Michigan Foundations to the Crawford and Oscoda County Kellogg Youth Funds of NCMCF to be recommended by those Youth Advisory Councils specifically for pandemic-related needs. Grants awarded include:
- $1,250 to Northern Michigan Children’s Assessment Center;
- $1,250 to Together We Can Food Pantry to purchase food for distribution for those in need;
- $1,000 to Crawford AuSable School District through two grants for the Grayling Middle School and Elementary School food pantries;
- $750 to Crawford Roscommon Child Protection Council;
- $750 to River House, Inc.
The NCMCF YAC is a group of young people ages 12 to 21 from Crawford, Ogemaw and Oscoda Counties. YAC connects youth to their communities through grantmaking and teaches the impact philanthropy has on the present and future.
NCMCF serves Crawford, Ogemaw and Oscoda Counties, and is an affiliate of the Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan (CFNEM). Info: ncmcf.org or call 989-354-6881; toll-free: 877-354-6881.